lxii ONTARIO REPORTS JUNE 16, 2017
Volume 23, June 2017
Orders PARALEGAL MATTERS
The panel orders:
1. Commencing May 29, 2017, the licence of the Respondent is
suspended on an interlocutory basis.
2. This Order shall be in effect until the earliest of the following:
a. A panel varies or cancels the order on the consent of the Law
Society and the Respondent prior to the hearing on the merits
of the proceeding to which the motion relates.
b. A panel varies or cancels the order on the basis of fresh
evidence or a material change in circumstances that is
brought by the Law Society or the Respondent to the panel
prior to the hearing on the merits of the proceeding to which
the motion relates.
i. For the purpose of this Order, a material change in
circumstances may include the following:
1. The Respondent or the Law Society tenders new
2. The Respondent’s conviction is overturned and either an
acquittal or a new trial is ordered.
3. The Respondent shall comply fully with the terms of
the Law Society’s Guidelines for Paralegals Who are
Suspended or Who Have Given an Undertaking Not to
Provide Legal Services while suspended pursuant to this
Order. This Order does not restrict the Respondent’s
ability to be in association with licensed lawyers or
paralegals for the sole purpose of teaching.
4. If costs are to be ordered in relation to this application,
those costs are to be determined at the time of the
hearing on the merits.
(Counsel for the Society, Susan Heakes and Suzanne Jarvie / Counsel
for the Paralegal, Nadia Liva)