AUGUST 11, 2017 CAREERS lvii
The University of Toronto is seeking a Contracts Lawyer (In-house Counsel) to
provide legal advice and expertise to academic and administrative leaders across
The successful applicant will have responsibility for:
• Providing legal advice to senior leaders on drafting and negotiation of a
variety of contracts and agreements.
• Providing advice on legal compliance with the University’s Policy on
Approval and Execution of contracts and documents.
• Leading the development of new protocols and systems for contracts
management. This includes working in consultation with U of T internal
legal counsel to develop workflow processes, knowledge management
systems, template contracts, and other tools to monitor and assist in the
efficient review, approval and renewal of contracts.
• Collaborating to create contract management training and professional
The successful applicant will have a minimum of 6 years of experience in legal
practice, contract management and contract and administrative law expertise,
Bachelors of Law degree (LL.B) and/or Juris Doctor (J.D.) degree, and be a
member in good standing of the Law Society of Upper Canada.
Applicants should apply online by August 18, 2017 at
http://careers.hrandequity.utoronto.ca/ The position is: 1701218
Smart & Biggar is Canada’s largest and most respected intellectual property (IP) and technology
law firm. With a large team across the country, our firm prepares, files and prosecutes thousands
of patent and trademark applications every year and has been repeatedly recognized as
Canada’s leading IP firm in numerous Canadian and international surveys.
We are seeking a qualified Trademark Lawyer and registered Trademark Agent to join our
Ottawa Trademarks practice group. In this role, you will work closely with world-class leaders in
IP whose experience and expertise are used to provide clients with sophisticated and practical
advice in all areas of trademark practice. As a member of the highly sought-after Smart &
Biggar team, you will have the opportunity to provide advice and service to the owners of the
world’s most valuable brands. We are confident the right candidate will find many opportunities
to learn and grow within our Firm.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
• Legally entitled to practice law in Canada and a member in good standing with a provincial
bar, preferably in Ontario
• Registered Canadian Trademark Agent
• Minimum 1-4 years’ of trademark prosecution experience
• Specialist in trademark prosecution and experience in contentious trademark matters
For full description and to apply, please visit: http://www.smart-biggar.ca/en/careers.cfm
TRADEMARK LAWYER - OTTAWA