l ONTARIO REPORTS OCTOBER 20, 2017
About the Chartered Professional Accountants of Ontario
CPA Ontario protects the public interest by ensuring its members meet the highest standards of integrity
and expertise. CPA Ontario serves and supports its more than 89,000 members and 19,000 students in
their qualification and professional development in a wide range of senior positions in public accounting,
business, finance, government, not-for-profits and academe. Chartered Professional Accountants are
valued by organizations of all types and sizes for their financial expertise, strategic thinking, business
insight, management skills and leadership. For information on the CPA profession, visit cpaontario.ca.
CPA Ontario is in search of a full-time Professional Standards Counsel with several years of prosecution
and/or litigation experience, preferably obtained in a professional self-regulatory practice. The successful
candidate will prosecute allegations of professional misconduct before the Discipline and Appeal
Committees of CPA Ontario and before the courts, provide legal advice to the Complaints Committee, and
appoint and oversee investigators.
• Advise the Complaints Committee and Standards Enforcement staff on legal issues
• Prosecute matters before the Discipline and Appeal Committees and before the courts
• Appoint investigators on behalf of the Complaints Committee
• Review investigator reports and provide supervision, direction and advice to in-house and external
• Work with other members of the Standards Enforcement and Investigations & Prosecutions teams
in complex matters involving members in the course of the complaints process
• Formulate and apply policies/strategies within Investigations & Prosecutions, impacting the
Regulatory & Standards group and the CPA profession broadly
• Be accountable to the Complaints Committee and the Director for decisions taken on an
investigation or prosecution file
• LL.B./J.D. member in good standing with the Law Society of Upper Canada and licensed to practise
law in Ontario
• Minimum 3 – 5 years at the bar
• Prosecution experience and/or litigation experience
• Ability to assume independent carriage of investigation and prosecution files
• Experience with disciplinary process of self-regulating professions is preferred but not essential
• Strong advocacy skills, both oral and written
• Integrity, fairness and courtesy
How to Apply
Please apply online at www.cpaontario.ca/join-our-team by October 27, 2017.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those being considered for further
screening or an interview will be contacted.
CPA Ontario is an inclusive employer. Accommodation is available under the Ontario Human Rights Code.
If you require a disability-related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please
email firstname.lastname@example.org with “Accommodation Required” in the subject line to provide your
contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours.
Professional Standards Counsel