Amazing career stories
lxvi ONTARIO REPORTS JANUARY 12, 2018
begin at Scotiabank.
Senior Counsel, Insurance, Retail Banking (Toronto)
Scotiabank’s Legal Department is seeking to hire a senior counsel to join its
Retail and Commercial Banking legal team. The successful candidate will provide
legal support primarily relating to insurance and reinsurance law to our
domestic and international insurance businesses.
• Providing practical, business-focused legal advice and support on regulatory
issues that impact the Bank’s creditor, life, health, disability, home, auto, travel
as well as cyber insurance;
• Taking a lead role in providing legal, regulatory and contractual advice on all
insurance and reinsurance initiatives including negotiating material contracts;
drafting customer facing agreements, reviewing marketing collateral, etc.
• Ensuring the domestic and international insurance groups comply with
governing regulations in Canada and abroad;
• Reviewing proposed changes to legislation and taking a leadership role in
recommending a bank wide approach for compliance including changes to
policies, procedures and customer agreements;
• Liaising with local counsel in international jurisdictions and managing external
• Working collaboratively within the Legal Department and with multiple
stakeholders including senior members of our insurance business, insurance
companies, and Compliance; and
• Participating as Scotiabank’s legal representative on select external industry
associations ( i.e. CLHIA, CAFII, CBA etc.).
Successful candidates will have a minimum of 10 years of related insurance
regulatory experience gained at a top-tier law firm or in a large corporate
environment. This is an excellent career opportunity for a confident and decisive
professional with outstanding judgment, a depth of technical legal knowledge,
and strong analytical, organizational, leadership and communications skills.
Scotiabank offers a competitive compensation package, interesting and
challenging work and a supportive team-oriented environment. This is a unique
opportunity to join a dynamic, forward-thinking organization.
For more information about this opportunity, please contact Carolyn Clare,
email@example.com, for a confidential discussion.
Registered trademark of the Great Place to Work Institute.
Registered trademark of the Bank of Nova Scotia.