JANUARY 12, 2018 CAREERS lxvii
Amazing career stories
begin at Scotiabank.
Senior Counsel, Regulatory, Retail Banking (Toronto)
Scotiabank’s Legal Department is seeking to hire a senior counsel to join its Retail and
Commercial Banking legal team. The successful candidate will provide legal support
primarily relating to regulatory developments impacting Retail Banking and other areas
of the bank as appropriate.
• Providing practical, business-focused legal advice and support on regulatory
issues that impact Retail financial products and services including input on
customer agreements and third party contracts;
• Developing a point of view on emerging issues and trends impacting retail
• Reviewing proposed changes to legislation and taking a leadership role in
recommending a bank wide approach for compliance including changes to
policies, procedures and customer agreements;
• Proactively keeping various lines of business fully informed about upcoming
• Working collaboratively within the Legal Department and with multiple
stakeholders including Government Relations, Communications and Compliance;
• Participating as Scotiabank’s legal representative on select external industry
• Providing legal, regulatory and contractual support with respect to various retail
products and services; and
• Managing outside counsel.
Successful candidates will have 8-10 years of related regulatory and personal banking
products and services experience gained at a top-tier law firm or in a large corporate
environment. This is an excellent career opportunity for a confident and decisive
professional with outstanding judgment, a depth of technical legal knowledge,
strong analytical, advocacy, organizational, leadership and communications skills.
Experience in financial industry consumer protection regulatory landscape, and
exposure to privacy and competition law is an asset.
Scotiabank offers a competitive compensation package, interesting and challenging
work, and a supportive team-oriented environment. This is a unique opportunity to
join a dynamic, forward-thinking organization.
For more information about this opportunity, please contact Carolyn Clare,
email@example.com, for a confidential discussion.
Registered trademark of the Great Place to Work Institute.
† Registered trademark of the Bank of Nova Scotia.