FEBRUARY 16, 2018 CAREERS lxi
Bayer is a global enterprise with core competencies in the Life Science fields of health care and
agriculture. Its products and services are designed to benefit people and improve their quality of life.
Our products are helping to address some of today’s biggest challenges, including global population
growth, an aging society and the need to make efficient – and, wherever possible, sustainable – use
of natural resources. We are improving people’s quality of life by preventing, alleviating or curing
diseases. We are helping to provide an adequate supply of high-quality food, feed and renewable
plant-based raw materials. In line with our mission “Bayer: Science For A Better Life”, we aim to
improve people’s quality of life. For this endeavor, we focus on our core competency of developing
and successfully commercializing innovative products and solutions based on scientific knowledge.
In Canada, Bayer is a leading employer, having been selected as one of Canada’s Top 100
employers for the past ten years.
COUNSEL – BAYER INC.
Operating as part of the Bayer Country Platform for legal services in Canada, you will be located in
our headquarters in Mississauga, Ontario and report to the Head of Law, Patents & Compliance.
You will play an integral role in providing support in the areas of legal services, corporate
stewardship and risk management to Bayer Inc., aligned with the Bayer vision, mission and
strategy. You are accountable for legal risk evaluation and legal strategies advising local and global
Bayer business partners, senior management and project teams and committees.
• Provide pharmaceutical and other business partners with advice and counsel in all areas of
law to further the interests of the business while providing protection of the company’s rights.
• Prepare and negotiate commercial agreements, review of marketing/advertising materials,
advise and participate in the inception and implementation of special/significant projects.
• Provide Privacy law support to all areas of Bayer’s businesses.
• Proactively partner with business colleagues to pursue opportunities and support compliance
with legislation, and industry and Bayer policies and codes.
• Manage external counsel and Bayer’s interests in transactions and litigation together with
Bayer colleagues in other jurisdictions.
• Member of a Provincial Bar or Law Society in Canada.
• 5+ years experience in an in-house or private practice setting in pharmaceutical and corporate
• Excellent proactive communication skills and client relationship experience.
• Demonstrated legal judgment and excellent strategic and analytical skills.
• Proven business judgment and ability to work independently and as a team player.
• Ability to effectively manage tight timelines and keep others informed.
• Experience in the following areas would be considered an asset
o Knowledge of the healthcare industry
o Compliance and Privacy law
o Competition law
o Spoken and written French language
Anyone interested in exploring this challenging opportunity is invited to go to our career
opportunities website at www.bayer.ca and apply online before February 23, 2018.