xlvi ONTARIO REPORTS JULY 13, 2018
You will provide strategic legal advice and support on issues affecting BASF Canada,
including general corporate/commercial law, corporate governance matters, policy and
compliance matters, competition law, privacy law, intellectual property law, mergers and
acquisitions, regulatory matters, environmental law, real estate law and litigation.
Formula for Success: You Will…
• Draft, with and without the use of precedents, negotiate, review, revise and interpret
a broad range of commercial documents including but not limited to sales contracts,
purchase agreements, guarantees, RFPs, RFQs, tenders, RFPQs, equipment loan
and lease agreements, commercial leasing agreements, resolutions and other
corporate documents, licensing contracts, service agreements, tolling/manufacturing
agreements, intercompany agreements, non-disclosure agreements, demand letters,
statements of claim and statements of defense, full and final releases, consulting
agreements, distributor contracts, agency agreements, amending agreements, license
agreements, letters of intent and memorandums of understanding.
• Stay current on legal developments affecting BASF Canada, our customers and
our industry and create and execute action plans to manage the impact of these
• Engage in risk management analyses.
• Proactively brainstorm and partner with employees in respect of possible future
initiatives and business directions.
• Review, revise and draft company policies.
• Promote company learning in respect of different areas of law through the preparation
and presentation of seminars to empower our employees.
• Render legal transactions and issues more efficient through the preparation of
processes and precedents which enable employees to quickly and easily obtain
necessary documentation and direction.
• Act as a team member for cross-border and global transactions and issues by engaging
and coordinating with business colleagues and legal representatives within the BASF
group of companies.
• Retain external legal counsel, manage external counsel work, negotiate alternative fee
arrangements, review invoices.
Ingredients for Success: What We Look for in You…
• Law degree from an accredited institution and licensed to practice law in the Province
• In addition to being licensed to practice law in the Province of Ontario, being
licensed to practice law in the Province of Quebec will be considered a strong
• 2 to 5 years of post-call experience in corporate/commercial law at a law firm or
corporate legal department. Some in-house experience preferred
• Excellent communication, organizational and interpersonal skills
• Strong analytical and negotiations skills
• Business acumen
• Practical and also shows good judgment
• Ability to handle many projects simultaneously, to manage multiple tight deadlines,
and to prioritize effectively
• French language skills (oral & written) are an asset
BASF Canada has been recognized as one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers for 2018, as
well as one of Greater Toronto’s Top Employers for 2018.
Please submit your resume online to Job ID 1803327 at: