SEPTEMBER 14, 2018 LAW SOCIETY TRIBUNAL lxxxiii
Volume 37, September 2018
Orders LAWYER MATTERS
2. The respondent shall comply fully with the Guidelines for Lawyers
Who Are Suspended or Who Have Given an Undertaking Not to
Practise while suspended.
3. Costs of the motion will be addressed by the panel hearing the
interlocutory suspension motion.
(Counsel for the Society, Daniel Iny and Geetha Philipupillai / the Lawyer
was not present or represented)
August 17, 2018
In this proceeding concerning James Cooper Morton, 1988, of
Hamilton, the panel considered the Law Society of Ontario’s motion for:
The panel orders:
1. Commencing August 21, 2018, the licence of the respondent shall
be suspended on an interlocutory basis.
2. This Order shall be in effect until the earliest of the following:
a. A panel varies or cancels the order on the consent of the Law
Society and the respondent prior to the hearing on the merits of
the proceeding to which the motion relates.
b. A panel varies or cancels the order on the basis of fresh evidence
or a material change in circumstances that is brought by the Law
Society or the respondent to the panel prior to the hearing on
the merits of the proceeding to which the motion relates.
i. For the purpose of this Order, a material change in
circumstances may include the following:
1. The respondent or the Law Society tenders new evidence.
2. The charges against the respondent are withdrawn or
stayed, or he is acquitted.
3. The respondent shall comply fully with the terms of the Law Society’s
Guidelines for Lawyers Who Are Suspended or Who Have Given an
Undertaking Not to Practice while suspended pursuant to this Order.
4. Costs in relation to this application will be determined at the time of
the hearing on the merits.
(Counsel for the Society, Sue Heakes / Counsel for the Lawyer,
Stephen G. Bernstein)