x ONTARIO REPORTS NOVEMBER 9, 2018
Obligations for Licensees – What you
need to know
We all play a role in addressing racism and discrimination faced by
lawyers and paralegals.
To advance its commitment to equality, diversity and inclusion, the Law
Society has adopted the strategies recommended in Working Together
for Change: Strategies to Address Issues of Systemic Racism in
the Legal Professions.
This year, additional requirements for lawyers and paralegals are being
implemented. Here is what you need to know and do:
1. Licensee Representatives of legal workplaces of 10 or more licensees
are to complete a self-assessment for their legal workplaces through
the 2018 Annual Report.
2. Licensees should answer voluntary inclusion questions about their legal
workplaces in their 2018 Annual Report, with specific reporting to
legal workplaces of 25 or more licensees
3. Licensees should continue to answer voluntary self-identification
questions in their 2018 Annual Report, with specific reporting to legal
workplaces of 25 or more licensees.
4. Licensees are to complete 3 CPD Professionalism Hours focused on
Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI Hours) by the end of 2020 and
record in the Law Society Portal.
5. Comply with the Statement of Principles requirement
6. Comply with the Human Rights and Diversity Policy requirement
For more information on your obligations, and to access resources,
please visit: www.lso.ca/EDI