NOVEMBER 9, 2018 CAREERS lxvii
Mercer’s Canada Law and Tax Practice (CLTP) employs 10 lawyers in our Toronto office and 7 lawyers
in other Canadian cities. CLTP develops intellectual capital and provides legal services to Mercer’s
Canadian and global clients. The position we are filling is for a lawyer to be located in the Toronto office;
however, location in another Canadian Mercer office is also possible (if desired by the candidate). The
successful candidate will use his or her knowledge of pension and benefits law and relevant tax and
employment law, while working side-by-side with other Mercer lawyers, actuaries and consultants.
• Advising internal and external clients and liaising with other Mercer professionals, regulatory
agencies and service providers.
• Reviewing plan amendments, plan texts, board resolutions, client and regulatory letters and
other documentation including employee communication materials.
• Analysing and researching issues involving pensions, benefits, tax, employment, privacy, trusts
and other substantive areas of law.
• At least 10 years of experience in the pension and benefits field.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
• Ability to build strong relationships with internal and external clients.
Should you be interested in the role, kindly apply at: https://mmc.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/careers/job/
SENIOR PENSION LAWYER
Toronto – Bremner; Ottawa – Metcalfe
The International Union of Operating Engineers, Local 793 is a progressive
trade union representing thousands of workers throughout Ontario, primarily
in the construction industry. We are looking for a junior lawyer to join our
in-house legal team which is an integral part of the Union’s Labour Relations
Department. A background in labour law is preferred. Litigation experience
and knowledge of construction labour relations in Ontario is an asset. The
successful applicant can expect a varied and exciting practice that will include
litigation, legal writing, government relations work and conducting training/
IUOE Local 793 is an equal opportunity employer. We provide a competitive
salary (to be negotiated) and an excellent comprehensive benefits package,
which includes a pension plan and a car allowance.
Please email your resumé, together with law school transcripts and letters of
reference (if applicable) in confidence by no later than November 16, 2018 to:
All applications are appreciated, however, only candidates invited for an
interview will be contacted.
JUNIOR IN-HOUSE LEGAL COUNSEL