MAY 17, 2019 CAREERS lxv
Chubb is the world’s largest publicly traded property and casualty insurer. With operations in 54 countries, Chubb
provides commercial and personal property and casualty insurance, personal accident and supplemental health
insurance, reinsurance and life insurance to a diverse group of clients. The company is distinguished by its
extensive product and service offerings, broad distribution capabilities, exceptional financial strength, underwriting
excellence, superior claims handling expertise and local operations globally.
House Counsel will provide in-house litigation and other legal support services to the Claims Department
Recovery Unit of Chubb Insurance Company of Canada. This role will oversee all necessary activities
relating to pursuing subrogation matters.
• Maintain a high standard of legal work on all cases including comprehensive written analyses and
evaluation of liability and damages as it relates to subrogation matters.
• Assist the Recovery Unit to develop investigation and other relevant protocols.
• Develop case resolution strategies and assist in settlement negotiations by applying appropriate litigation
• Conduct discovery, mediation, pre-trial and trial proceedings as appropriate; prepare members of the
Claims team, insureds and experts for proceedings as necessary.
• Research applicable laws and draft pleadings, motions, opinions, legal briefs and documents as required.
• Educate claims, brokers, insureds, and underwriting communities with timely information and updates.
• Develop and maintain relationships to increase rate of internal referrals.
• Respond to all claims customer inquiries promptly.
• Bachelor of Law Degree and membership in good standing with the Law Society of Ontario.
• Excellent verbal and written communication/presentation skills.
• Ability to exercise discretion and utmost confidentiality relating to all files and referrals.
• Minimum of five (5) years of active litigation experience (including trial and appellate work) as insurance
defense counsel with an emphasis in pursuing subrogation matters.
• Ability to work cooperatively and effectively at all levels and with a diverse range of technical claims
• Knowledge of relevant Canadian common law and Insurance Regulations.
• Knowledge and understanding of insurance contracts and coverage principles.
• Advanced proficiency in negotiation and communication skills (both oral and written).
• Ability to interrelate with a variety of people and to be a team player.
• Ability to work independently in a fast-paced and dynamic environment.
• Excellent customer service skills.
• Demonstrated aptitude for evaluating, analyzing, and interpreting information.
• Demonstrated organizational, problem solving, negotiation and conflict resolution skills.
• Demonstrated success in working with lawyers and other outside vendors.
If you are interested in this position, or know someone who may be interested, please email Chubb Canada
At Chubb we are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants. It is our
policy to provide equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants based on job-related qualifications
and ability to perform a job. If you require an accommodation during the hiring process or upon hire, please
inform Human Resources. If a selected applicant requests accommodation during the recruitment process, Chubb
will consult with the applicant in order to provide suitable accommodation that takes into account the applicant’s
HOUSE COUNSEL - SUBROGATION