liv ONTARIO REPORTS JUNE 14, 2019
CPA Ontario is currently in search of an Associate Counsel who will support the General Counsel
and the Office of the General Counsel in a variety of capacities, particularly in the areas of corporate/
commercial and governance legal advice and support, to protect CPA Ontario against legal risk and
ensure CPA Ontario satisfies its ongoing legal and regulatory obligations.
• Delivery of day to day corporate/commercial legal advice and support to all CPA Ontario
business units, including the legal review, negotiation and drafting of corporate contracts and
agreements, legal advice on contest rules and regulations, the creation and maintenance of
contract templates and forms, managing intellectual property and its enforcement, and privacy
and CASL matters and compliance
• Legal research and analysis, including the provision of advice, opinions or memos, on matters
affecting the organization and/or its members, firms, or students
Contracts Management Policy, Records Retention Policy), including participation in training
business units and monitoring compliance
• Providing legal advice and support and representing business units in matters arising from
regulatory or governance issues, including but not limited to admission, registration, capacity,
and custodianship matters
• Managing external counsel, and acting as counsel for CPA Ontario, both internally before
adjudicative tribunals and externally, in court and otherwise
• Managing governance processes, including Council election, Annual Meeting of Members,
maintenance of minute books, and ensuring processes meet or exceed legal requirements.
• Overseeing protection of the designation against misuse by non-members
• LL.B./J.D. member in good standing with the Law Society of Ontario and licensed to practice
law in Ontario
• A minimum of 5-7 years of experience working in a law firm or as in-house counsel, preferably
in a regulatory body
• Excellent research, analytical, problem-solving, critical thinking and judgement skills
• Solid communication (verbal and written), interpersonal, relationship building and presentation
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook)
• Proven ability to work well under pressure with previous experience working in a fast-paced,
high volume, deadline-oriented environment with multiple priorities
• Superior attention to accuracy and detail
How to Apply
Please apply online at www.cpaontario.ca/join-our-team by Friday, June 14, 2019.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however,
only those being considered will be contacted.
CPA Ontario is an inclusive employer. Accommodation is available under the Ontario Human Rights
Code. If you require a disability-related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment
process, please email email@example.com with “Accommodation Required” in the subject
line to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours.