xl ONTARIO REPORTS JULY 12, 2019
Make a difference
TCHC’s goals are to improve living conditions and quality of life for its 110,000 tenants, connect vulnerable
tenants to the supports they need, and be a more efficient, effective and responsive housing provider. As
the General Counsel and Corporate Secretary you will have the unique opportunity to support Toronto
Community Housing by providing oversight and expertise across a number of different areas of law in
addition to serving as a key advisor and Corporate Secretary to a municipal Board of Directors. Reporting
directly to the President and Chief Executive Officer, you will oversee a team of approximately 16 direct and
70 indirect reports to support a diverse portfolio consisting of corporate/commercial transactions, corporate
governance and compliance, procurement, employment, development and construction, real estate,
insurance, privacy and access, and enterprise risk management for TCHC and its subsidiaries.
What you'll do
• Manage the legal function providing oversight over all TCHC corporate law & litigation matters.
• Serve as key advisor on all major business transactions and on matters related to policy and the
strategic direction of TCHC.
• Manage the Freedom of Information and Access Unit consistent with the obligations set out in the
Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
• Implement processes, tools and systems to identify, assess, measure and manage legal risk.
• Identify, monitor and implement ways to prevent, detect and investigate matters pertaining to internal
and external fraud and waste that put the organization at risk.
• Provide leadership, strategic direction, oversight and subject matter expertise on matters related to
fire life safety to ensure a safe environment for all TCHC tenants and staff.
• Serve as Corporate Secretary to the Board of Directors ensuring the implementation of all Board
decisions and an appropriate level of transparency in all business transactions.
What you'll need
• J.D./LL.B. and membership in good standing with LSO.
• 10 or more years of progressive work experience as well as previous experience in a leadership role.
• Previous experience working in a public sector environment is required and past experience working
in social housing is strongly preferred.
• A broad legal background or understanding that includes several of the following areas: corporate/
commercial law, corporate governance and compliance, procurement, labour and employment,
development and construction, commercial leasing, real estate, secured financings, civil and
litigation management, insurance, IT, energy, privacy and access, human rights and enterprise risk
• Previous experience managing mid to large size teams.
• Past experience managing relationships with a public sector Board of Directors.
• A demonstrated ability to lead and manage a number of complex files, initiatives and demands
• Excellent oral and written communication skills that reflect that information, opinions and observations
are understood and acted upon.
• Strong collaboration, problem solving and conflict resolution skills.
• Experience with relevant legislation such as the Residential Tenancies Act, Housing Services Act,
Human Rights Code, Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
To apply for this exciting opportunity please apply on our website at:
If you require additional information, please contact Tracy Wolbaum, Director of Talent Management at
GENERAL COUNSEL &