JULY 12, 2019 CAREERS xli
Director, Recruitment and
Bereskin & Parr LLP (B&P) is one of Canada's largest and most respected intellectual property law
firms. We have approximately 240 firm members, including more than 80 lawyers, patent and trademark
agents and students, with four offices located in major economic or technology centres. We are an
award-winning firm with a global reputation as one of the largest, and most experienced in patent and
trademark law. We provide exceptional client service and are driven by our commitment to professional
excellence. At B&P, we are proud of our collaborative and inclusive work environment.
This position is responsible for the overall strategy and direction of the associate and
student programs at the firm, and will oversee all aspects of talent management including
recruitment and professional development. The director will work collaboratively with various
committees and partners, as may be required from time to time, to execute the firm’s
professional development goals as they apply to associates and students based on current
and future needs, and consistent with the firm’s strategic objectives. The director will report
to the firm’s Chief Operating Officer.
• Recruitment and onboarding of students and associates, including management and
attendance at on-campus interviews.
• Responsible for setting and delivering professional development programs.
• Provide guidance and training, and monitor associate and student work allocation.
• Management of periodic performance evaluations and compensation reviews.
• Revise, update and propose new policies and procedures as they relate to associates
• Responsible for setting the annual department budget including oversight and approval
• Manage associate and student mentor programs.
• Establish and maintain good working relationships with law schools.
• Participate in the firm’s Diversity & Inclusion Committee.
• Collaborate with practice group partners to identify training and development needs,
and determine the appropriate means to deliver and measure the success of related
• Strong leadership and organizational skills.
• Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills.
• Ability to multi-task and meet deadlines.
• Collaborative and inclusive management style.
• Possess good judgment and discretion with respect to confidential or sensitive matters.
• Ability to think strategically with strong analytical abilities.
• Highly motivated and committed individual with a strong work ethic who takes
ownership and is not afraid to roll up their sleeves.
• Ability to effectively deal with change in fast-paced and changing environments.
• L.L.B/J.D. and minimum of 4 years’ experience in a similar role in a law firm.
• 10 years’ experience working in a law firm.
• Proficient with Microsoft Office suite (Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, Word).
Interested candidates are asked to
send their resumes and cover letter to email@example.com
Subject: Director, Recruitment and Professional Development
Bereskin & Parr Management is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from all
qualified candidates including women, indigenous peoples, visible minorities and people with disabilities.
Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection
process. Should candidates wish to receive the above job posting in an alternative format or require
accommodations during our recruiting process, please contact Nelly Meira, Director Human Resources
and Administration by email ( firstname.lastname@example.org) or by phone 416-957-1674.