SEPTEMBER 13, 2019 CAREERS lxvii
Counsel, Regulatory – (Job Number 1914496) (Toronto, ON)
The successful candidate will join a diverse team who provide legal support to CIBC’s Personal
Banking business and other areas of the bank as appropriate.
• Provide business-focused legal advice across a range of subject matter areas including
consumer protection and banking regulation, marketing and product development.
• Develop a point of view to deliver judgment-based, strategic regulatory interpretation
advice as well as forming positions on emerging issues and trends impacting banking
• Partner with lawyers within the Legal Department and with multiple business
stakeholders across the Retail Bank and functional groups including Communications,
Compliance and Government Relations. When required, oversee and manage the
relationship with outside counsel as well.
The successful candidate will have a minimum of 4 years’ experience at a top tier law firm
or large in-house legal department and is a strong team player. The candidate will have
experience in delivering practical, business focused advice on regulatory interpretation
issues. Experience advising in any of the following areas is an asset: litigation, consumer
protection regulation, financial services or banking legislation, advertising/marketing or
If you are interested in either opportunity visit the Careers page at CIBC.com to apply:
With about 50 lawyers working from offices in Toronto, Montreal, New York,
London and Hong Kong, CIBC Legal manages legal outcomes by providing a full
range of legal and transactional support services to CIBC’s businesses worldwide.
The Electrical Safety Authority (ESA) is a not-for-profit, public electrical safety
regulator located in Mississauga. The organization was established in 1999 and
is one of the successor companies to the former Ontario Hydro. ESA is seeking
a lawyer to join our in-house legal team as Legal Counsel, providing advice on
corporate and regulatory matters and supporting the Corporate Secretary.
• 3-5 years of post-call experience in a leading law firm or in-house in a
corporate or regulatory environment.
• Experience working in corporate law and governance. Experience in
administrative and regulatory law considered an asset.
• Experience working as/with corporate secretary and/or Boards of
• An optimistic, collaborative, passionate and strategic approach to
• Superior judgement, organization and communication skills.
For further details, please visit: www.esasafe.com/careers/